Wednesday, July 2, 2008

We continue to celebrate



Bailey reads the Declaration of Independence in celebration of Independence Day


This morning camp was aroused with much activity, Mrs. Vixie needed help in her tent and Mrs. Wragge immediately went there. As the students and Mr. Merchant continued to celebrate the Fourth of July by reading the Declaration of Independence, Mr. Vixie paced nervously. Mikayla and Darla were summoned to Mrs. Vixie's tent and soon I saw them hauling water from Mr. Rick, the cook.

We returned from our celebration of freedom in front of the markers at Independence Rock and were joined by Gaynell Park, the landowner on the Dumbell Ranch, who gave us information about how she and her husband, Norm, had worked to preserve the view east of Independence Rock, and how they had donated land around it to the State of Wyoming, so it is now a Wyoming State Historical Site. Just as she wrapped up her talk, we heard the cry of a baby. The Vixie's have a son!

Several of the girls began crying. I'm not sure if they were relieved that the baby had come without any problems, or if they were scared.

Angela was elected wagon master today and took charge of the camp organization. She assigned girls to help Mrs. Vixie with the baby. During the day I saw the infant in several different caring arms.

Later in the morning we visited the Fulkerson grave where stories were shared about death on the trail. This became an extremely emotional situation, far more so than we as film producers had ever imagined. I personally had a tough time at the grave in thinking about the loss of my own Dad last December. As I sat on a rock sobbing, I felt arms around me. When I could finally pull my head up, I found Rachel on one side and Livee on the other. Other students and adults were having similar emotional moments and through my tears I could see them all supporting each other. Already we have become a close wagon train family.

--Candy Moulton

7 comments:

Chulabelle said...

A BABY! Oh, how incredible. I can only wonder what her name is...? Oregon? I bet the girls were so xcited. That's so neat.

I can imagine the emotion at the graveside. I lost my mom seven years ago and still reflect through tear-filled eyes.

I am so happy all of the kids and the leaders are becoming family-like. I know it will create relationships that last a lifetime.

Charla (Jakob's mom)

Chulabelle said...

Oops, I just realized the baby is a BOY, not a girl. OK, "Oregon" won't fit... =)
Anyway, congrats!

Lori J said...

Oh, what a day!! Ending & beginning of life --- sadness for the past and hope for the future.

This journey is not only about history but life now --- what a thrilling experience.

Lori (Olivia ="Livee" mom)

PS: Olivia, I cried with you today and thought of Papa.

Tersea L Farley said...

What a special experience. One that many of us, even as adults don't get to experience, unless it is our own children. I am so glad that the children are learning to express their grief, compassion and be exposed to the cycle of life. These things are so important in living a positive and full life.

I am ever grateful to the crew for taking on such a wonderful project and allowing young people to experience it with you. Mrs. Vixie is a woman with much courage! Blessings and congrats!

Thank you to the family who donated the special place of independence rock, giving others the opportunity to live the dream!

May you continue to have these special moments on the trail.

Teresa (Joseph's Mom) Sacramento

RaynaW said...

Have been fascinated with the journey since the Boston kids set out at 4am Saturday morning. What an adventure/opportunity/experience -and the skills the kids will take home with them seem endless - from the meeting with topographers and learning a bit about how they survey the land to putting up sturdy tents and cooking on the land - along with the sharing of feelings and the friendships they're undoubtedly forming -
Thank you to all involved in making this journey come to life.
Am looking forward to each new update!
Rayna (Darla, Boston)

lexiconomist said...

Very powerful stuff. Can't wait to see it on film!

Candaces Family said...

Hi...just realized we could leave a comment. Sounds as if you are all having a wonderful adventure. Wish we were with you. Candace all your animals are doing great just missing you. We love you!

Diana, Tim and Scott (Candace's family)