Friday, July 4, 2008

Parting of the Ways

In the 19th century, wagon companies separated at various points on the trail...some people to go to Oregon and some to California. For the past few days we have had considerable discussion about which territory should be our destiny with Mr. Merchant and Mrs. Wragge insisting Oregon has more opportunity, particularly for families, while Mr. Vixie has been obsessed with California and the idea that he might find gold out there.

This morning when we awoke, it was to find that Mr. Vixie had indeed parted our company. But while we attended to the business of the day in our early morning meeting, he returned announcing that since hd has a new son and good wife, he will hold his family together and go to Oregon.

Although Mr. Vixie returned to camp, and says he is now committed to going to Oregon, others left the wagon train today. Chuck Miller, outrider Steve Moulton, and cook Rick Stevens of Horseback Adventures, along with Kenedy, Rachel, and Frankie departed early in the morning by wagon.

Later in the day we left the Jackson Creek Campground and headed on west by vehicle, stopping at South Pass, where I had a chance to talk about the history of the area before filming began. Here we had another student, Patrick, return home.

We have now reduced our wagon train by several people and expect to maintain this number of participants.

After our stop at South Pass we drove on to Montpelier, Idaho, where we were welcomed at the National California Trail Interpretive Center, by Director Becky Smith. whose crew served a wonderful hot dinner, after which we headed to camp pitched tents in the fading light, and then sent the kids off to the high school to take showers. (Brian told me later the water was cold, but the shower felt good.)

It is the real Fourth of July today, and Montpelier is a town with plenty of fireworks. There were explosions of color all around and above us and a band has struck up some music in the park.

--Candy Moulton

5 comments:

Chulabelle said...

I took a sponge bath in a river outside Buena Vista this weekend, and now that I'm home, can't wait to feel the warmth of a shower... Ah, the little things of today!! Glad to hear you all are doing weel, and are safe!
Charla

Tersea L Farley said...

Water temp becomes irrelevant when it has been a while since your last shower. The blessings of a good shower, the things we take for granted. I lived in Honduras and showers out of buckets was the norm, and oh how I became grateful for flowing water from the shower head.

Sorry to hear about another camper returning home, I hope he is well!

I went to the local pro rodeo stop and saw a cowboy in the roping competition from Montpelier. What a wonderful time seeing the fireworks in the open sky.
Stay well!

Frankie said...

hey everyone its me frankie, this is this first time I've had internet acess for a week (we live sooo far out of town!)I wanted to give evryone my best and I really hope all of my friends are doing well on the trip. I also wanted to thank Candy and Quackgrass Sally
for all of the great things they did to help me along through this trip. This was a life changing experience and I will never forget it. If anyone on the crew or team reads this before the shoot is over I'd like for them to give Josh, Eddie, Arielle, olivia, Bailey, Lydia, Jovanna, Angela and Darla all a big hug for me and let them know that I really miss them all and wish them the best on the rest of the trail and hope they write as soon as they get home. Thanks everyone for such a great time and thanks for being there for me, oh, here it comes, everyones favorite catch phrase from me, that made my day! Thanks again for everything guys and gals.oh, and if I could ask miss Quackgrass a small favor to give evryone the right home phone number for me, I accidentally gave everyone my friends cell phone number (they are very alike and I don't want anyone having trouble getting in touch). Love you all alot and hope for the best.
Your wagon pal from Wyoming,
Frankie (froggy) Israel

Quackgrass Sally said...

Howdy Frankie
We missed you ALOT and there was a hole in the wagon train family after you left. I'll sure pass along the correct phone number to the Dreamers and I know that they will contact you soon. Thanks for your true "pioneer spirit" and for the friendship along the trail. Hope to C U along it again in the future. Keep in touch and my best to a special, talented young man!
Happy trails.
Quackgrass

Quackgrass Sally said...

The whole wagon train missed Kenady and Rachel (and Frankie) after they "parted ways".... a great piece of Wyoming was left behind. I sure missed Chuck Miller too and the "girls" who always look so beautiful pulling the wagon. (Homer sends his best to the ladies too) Thanks Chuck for your understanding, your friendship and for sharing this "adventure" with this ol' Montana wagon train gal.
Look forward to seeing you all along the trails again!
Best always
Quackgrass