Thursday, July 3, 2008

Mikayla and Bob

Mikayla was a rock as wagon master today, standing up, by herself, to all of the boys in the train when they were having disagreements. She REFUSED to back down and let them continue with some petty jealousies, and instead forced them to face their own insecurities and issues. That happened the night we forded the river and was powerful not only for the boys—particularly Mike and Josh who had a one-on-one that changed attitudes significantly, and Andrew and Jakob with tiny, wise Jakob helping Andrew deal with being homesick and bringing him into the fold of the wagon family. Mikayla really bared her soul to the boys in that encounter as I stood in stunned disbelief at her candor.

Later, when the camera was down, I had a moment with Bob that also rocked me. He is so strong and so determined with his film making that I could not believe it when he looked into my eyes as his own brimmed over with tears. He told me he does not know how he will be able to say goodbye to these students. I placed my hands on his arms at the shoulder and tried to lend my bit of strength to him. I know this journey is so very difficult physically for all of us. Now it has become emotionally charged by our responsibility for these children who have been entrusted to our care, and it has let us bare our own souls to each other as well.


--Candy Moulton

1 comment:

Quackgrass Sally said...

No better friends could one ask for then in Bob and Candy.... my life is fuller and much more wonderful because of these people. The whole crew and cast are very special people in their own ways. THANKS to you all from the bottom of my heart......now I'm tearing up.
QS