Monday, July 14, 2008

Note from Susan (Scampering Soundie)

On the 21st century trails that crisscross this country, billboards busily bombard trying to sell me stuff I don’t care about, TVs in the airport (a jumping off point for 21st century crossings of the continent) blare biased anti-immigrant reports with exagerrated urgency, and flat screens in the local watering hole draw my eyes glassily up and away from making contact with my fellow travelers. It’s a cold contrast to the tactile experience, our fuzzy friends the mules, the pineneedles, the campfire smoke, our tightknit group, and our progress along the trail, even for those of us who were bound up with batteries, headphones, and transmitters during the expedition. ‘Twas a pleasure to be there. Hope to receive everyone’s contact info and see photos soon.

--Susan Bryant, Scampering Soundie writing July 13 from Hotel in Rapid City, SD with cockroach climbing across the number on my hotel room door.

No comments: