Thursday, June 26, 2008

Chewing the Elephant

Quackgrass and I arrived in Casper, Wyoming yesterday...to do our final preproduction for the film. We both planned to leave our homes early in the morning. It didn't happen.

I finally got my Subaru stuffed full of all the things we need: coolers, sleeping bags, clothes, blankets, camera, computer (so I can send you these blog updates), and lots more and hit the road. About 2:30 p.m., I called Quackgrass....By this time we were both expected to be in Casper. Our conversation went like this...

"Howdy," Quackgrass said. "Where are you?"

"About 5 miles from my house." (Which meant about 195 miles from Casper).

"I'm almost to Shoshoni (about 100 miles from Casper)," she said.

We both started laughing.

"Oh, well. We'll get there when we get there."

At 6:30, and still an hour out of Casper since I had to make several stops along our route to work out some details, I called and told her, "I'm starved. I didn't eat breakfast or lunch. I'll be there in about an hour. Buy a bucket of chicken and I'll meet you at Ben's."

I got to his house only 15 minutes later than planned. She and Ben had the chicken and we had a good dinner at his house then we sat and talked til it got dark. Literally. About 10 p.m. he said, "How come we're sitting here in the dark?"

"Cuz we're all too lazy to get up and turn on a light," I said....dragging myself up to go flip the switch.

Quackgrass has a 30 foot gooseneck horsetrailer that will be headquarters for she and I on this trip. It's almost as full as my Subaru. All of this is evidence that the elephant we have been chewing on since January is now in boxes and tubs! After a quick look at her setup, I headed over to the Ramada Plaza Riverside, where I'll stay for the next couple of nights. Thank you very much to manager Renee, for providing the rooms for Bob and I. The Ramada Plaza also provided our lodging when we were here in May for our production meeting. We really appreciate their support and ask you to support them if you are in Casper!

--Candy

No comments: